Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Stimulation
Hello everybody, sorry to bother once again!

I'm currently working on the development of a task that introduces auditory stimulation in our usual olfactory-only task.
To implement this, I was considering using piezo speakers paired with amplifiers, triggered by an arduino (that generates our waves too). The arduino would be then access via ethernet serial communication through the state machine.
Is this strategy valid in your opinion?

The only inconvenience is that we currently only have 1 Bpod Shield and it seems to me that generic arduino shields for the Uno won't work properly when interfaced with the state machine.

What's your suggestion on the topic? What would be the best possible choice (good sound quality, cheap and rapidly assembled) to implement simple auditory stimuli in my task?

Thank you in advance!
Have a great day,
Marco
Hello Marco,

Arduino Uno is an 8-bit board, and our Arduino shield is only compatible with 32-bit boards. All 32-bit Arduino boards have a native USB connection in addition to a separate hardware serial (UART) on pins 0+1. 

If you want a low-cost audio system, one option is Teensy 3.2 + the Teensy audio board + the Bpod Teensy Shield. Load this firmware to the Teensy board, and control it in MATLAB with this class. Bytes from the state machine indicate which sound to play, and byte 255 stops any ongoing sound.

Of course, there's always the HiFi module if you need a more premium audio solution with ultra-low latency and low distortion across the rodent hearing range.

-Josh
(11-02-2021, 04:54 AM)Josh Wrote: Hello Marco,

Arduino Uno is an 8-bit board, and our Arduino shield is only compatible with 32-bit boards. All 32-bit Arduino boards have a native USB connection in addition to a separate hardware serial (UART) on pins 0+1. 

If you want a low-cost audio system, one option is Teensy 3.2 + the Teensy audio board + the Bpod Teensy Shield. Load this firmware to the Teensy board, and control it in MATLAB with this class. Bytes from the state machine indicate which sound to play, and byte 255 stops any ongoing sound.

Of course, there's always the HiFi module if you need a more premium audio solution with ultra-low latency and low distortion across the rodent hearing range.

-Josh

Thank you Josh!