Turning off indicator LEDs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning off indicator LEDs
Hi,

One of our Bpods (v0.9) started to give off high frequency sound noise when it's running, and it seems that the noise is emitted by the status indicator LEDs.  I am wondering if there is any way to go into the firmware or software to turn off the indicator LEDs so that we can get rid of the noise. (Or, if you have any way to stop the LED from emitting the noise, it would be even better.)  I would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,
HK
Hi HK,

This is an issue with Arduino Due (see this thread).
The amount of current being supplied by the Due's regulator changes with the LED intensity, so they appear to be correlated. The actual source of the noise is a ceramic capacitor on the Due board (i.e. this).

The first thread has some suggestions for fixing the issue - please let us know whether any of those options work for you.

-Josh
I should add that if you ever want to disable the status LED for other reasons (for example, a dark 2-photon setup), you can set

STATUS_LED_ENABLED 

to 0 in the firmware.
Hi Josh,

Thanks for your prompt response!  I confirmed that turning off the LEDs did not help.  Now I connected a power source to the 12V power jack and it reduced the sound to about a half, but it's still noisier than the other units we have.  I guess there are no other known ways to further reduce it?

Thanks again,
HK
Hi HK,

It sounds like you'll need a replacement Arduino Due board. 
Please send your complete shipping address to sales@sanworks.io and we'll set up the repair.

Thanks,
Josh
My apologies if this information exists elsewhere in the forum or in the github repo but is this method for turning off the status LED still current in Bpod 2.0? I could not find this variable in the current version of the firmware. I tried modifying the setup command in BlinkModule.ino and the two EchoModule.ino by either setting digitalWrite(13, LOW) or commenting out the digitialWrite(13, HIGH) commands. 

I would like the Bpod control box to be completely dark at all times. 

Josh
I should add that if you ever want to disable the status LED for other reasons (for example, a dark 2-photon setup), you can set

STATUS_LED_ENABLED 

to 0 in the firmware.
Hi Josh,

For now you do have to set STATUS_LED_ENABLED in the firmware.
In the next firmware release, disabling the light from MATLAB will be supported.

Best,
Josh