Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearing port
Hello—

I am defining a port in a procedure:

R=RotaryEncoderModule('/dev/cu.usbmodem2812891');

When I exit and restart the protocol I am met with:

Error using ArCOMObject_Bpod (line 129)

Error: Unable to connect to port /dev/cu.usbmodem2812891. The port may be in use by another application.

The command clear R does not remedy the situation and my only option appears to be to restart Matlab.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Randy
Hi Randy

When you create rotary encoder object R, one of the object's fields is SerialPort, a wrapper for a USB serial port leased to object R by your operating system. When you clear variable R from your workspace (or if R was created in a function, when the function ends), the R object's destructor method is called, relinquishing control of the port.

In your case, the fix is to run 

clear R

at the end of your protocol.

-Josh
(01-25-2018, 07:43 PM)Josh Wrote: Hi Randy

When you create rotary encoder object R, one of the object's fields is SerialPort, a wrapper for a USB serial port leased to object R by your operating system. When you clear variable R from your workspace (or if R was created in a function, when the function ends), the R object's destructor method is called, relinquishing control of the port.

In your case, the fix is to run 

clear R

at the end of your protocol.

-Josh

Hi Josh—

Rookie mistake on my part.  The object 'R' was being defined as a global variable, so it was not being cleared when the function ended. 

Thanks for your help,

Randy