Flashing LED's throughout several states

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashing LED's throughout several states
Dear Bpod fellows,

I am new to Bpod  (r0.8) and currently getting familiar with the software by reading the wiki. I have a very simple question about an example on your wiki page:

% 2. This code generates a simple state matrix that flashes the port LEDs of ports 1-3 for 0.1 second each (assuming an LED is connected to the port's PWM line)
sma = NewStateMatrix();
sma = AddState(sma, 'Name', 'LightPort1', ...
    'Timer', 0.1,...
    'StateChangeConditions', {'Tup', 'LightPort2'},...
    'OutputActions', {'PWM1', 255}); 
sma = AddState(sma, 'Name', 'LightPort2', ...
    'Timer', 0.1,...
    'StateChangeConditions', {'Tup', 'LightPort3'},...
    'OutputActions', {'PWM2', 255}); 
sma = AddState(sma, 'Name', 'LightPort3', ...
    'Timer', 0.1,...
    'StateChangeConditions', {'Tup', 'exit'},...
    'OutputActions', {'PWM3', 255}); 

Is it possible to flash the LED at Port1 during the entire sequence (i.e. create states within a state)? So something like:  Turn on LED 1 -> Turn on LED 2 (for 0.1 sec) -> Turn on LED 3 (for 0.1 sec) -> Turn off LED 1?

Also, does the 'exit' condition mean that the PWM3 will be turned to 0 as soon as the timer has expired?
sma = AddState(sma, 'Name', 'LightPort3', ...
    'Timer', 0.1,...
    'StateChangeConditions', {'Tup', 'exit'},...
    'OutputActions', {'PWM3', 255}); 

Thanks
Hi David,

Global Timers allow you to control LEDs and other I/O lines in a way that can span several states.
The PWM examples in the state machine example folder should be helpful.
When you exit a state machine (i.e. end the trial), all output channels are reset to off / logic low.

I hope this helps!
(11-20-2017, 09:51 PM)Josh Wrote: Hi David,

Global Timers allow you to control LEDs and other I/O lines in a way that can span several states.
The PWM examples in the state machine example folder should be helpful.
When you exit a state machine (i.e. end the trial), all output channels are reset to off / logic low.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your answer. Imagine I set a Global timer for 5 seconds, and I trigger the timer in the first state. If all subsequent states last for a variable time, say 4 seconds in total, will a 'StateChangeConditions', {'GlobalTimer1_End', 'exit'} condition immediately cancel the global timer, even if the full 5 seconds have not expired? During experiments, some durations of specific states are manually changed -> therefore they could last longer or shorter than the initial duration of the global timer.
At the end of the trial, all active global timers are automatically canceled. You don't need to do it explicitly.