Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotary encoder module - unable to connect
Hi, I have used an either cable to connect the BPod rotary Encoder Module to The State Machine R2. And then I connected my own treadmill encoder into the 5V, A,V, and GND pin. However, when I click on the rotary encoder module plug-in. for some reason it cannot connect the Serial port eventho I could do so for the port interface module. I am wondering if there's anything special with the BPod Rotary Encoder module. Thank you!

Hi Ali,

The port interface board isn't a "module" - it breaks out the behavior port lines, to connect with our behavior ports or lickometers.
The module should be plugged into the opposite side of the state machine, in the section labeled "Modules".

Can you please share the error message you're seeing?

Thanks,
Josh
Hi Josh, I have done so and connected my rotary encoder module to the module port via an ether net cable. However, I'm still getting an error message and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thank you!

error message = 'Could not connectSad'

I use the Serial Port: 'COM5' to connect my bpod state machine with the computer. And when I press 'load board info', it works. However, when I launch the 'rotary encoder module' GUI, and then also using 'COM5' to the serial port, it gave me that error message. 

I am wondering if there should be differences between Serial port of the 'BPod' / 'rotary encoder'. Nonetheless, the only option  I saw available is 'COM5', the same one I used to connect the state machine to the computer.

How should I go about this? Thank you!
Hi Ali,

The rotary encoder module must be connected to the PC with its own USB cable. It will have a different COM port from the state machine. 
You can identify the correct COM port by opening the Windows device manager, and expanding the 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. Unplug the rotary encoder module, and see which one disappears from the list.

-Josh
(11-10-2020, 03:37 PM)Josh Wrote: Hi Ali,

The rotary encoder module must be connected to the PC with its own USB cable. It will have a different COM port from the state machine. 
You can identify the correct COM port by opening the Windows device manager, and expanding the 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. Unplug the rotary encoder module, and see which one disappears from the list.

-Josh

Hi Josh. thank you!